05 Jan 2018
Etherington’s Chicken & Bacon Macaroni Cheese
Our macaroni cheese recipe is the ultimate comfort food. Our twist on a classic family favourite includes succulent chicken, smokey bacon and a crunchy top. Perfect with seasonal green, but also surprisingly good as a side with steak!
Rapeseed oil, for frying
1 white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
250g chicken breast, diced
4 bacon rashers
40g plain flour
1 tsp ground nutmeg
300g grated cheddar, grated
50g breadcrumbs, optional
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 5.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion for 5 – 6 mins until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 – 2 mins.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and set aside. Add a little more oil to the pan and fry the chicken in batches until browned. Roughly chop the bacon into lardons and fry along with the chicken until lightly browned. Return the onion and garlic to the pan and set aside.
- In the meantime, cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions; drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the flour and keep stirring for 2 – 3 mins. Gradually whisk in the milk to form a thick sauce – this will take approximately 6 – 8 mins. Stir through the nutmeg and 250g of cheese. Season to taste.
- Remove the sauce from the hob and combine with the pasta and chicken, bacon and onion mixture. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and top with the remaining cheese. For an extra crispy topping, add breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven for 15 – 20 mins or until the top is golden and crispy. Serve with fresh steamed greens.